Child Support in Franklin County

Child Support Law

If parents (or custodians) are salaried employees whose wages appear on a W-2, setting child support is generally simple. Each parent’s financial support obligation is set by the North Carolina Child Support Guidelines. This is a formula that factors in cost of living for each parent and balances the children’s needs with each parent’s ability to pay support. NC Child Support Enforcement can help a parent establish child support without the need for an attorney.

If a parent is self-employed or if the children have special needs, setting child support is not so easy. Child Support Enforcement is probably not the best solution for getting child support established or modified. Because Child Support Enforcement has so many clients, the case workers and county attorneys do not have enough time to dedicate significant attention to one case.

In cases such as these, hiring the right attorney can make a significant difference in your life for years to come.

Back to Top


When asking for child support, be prepared to gather financial documents:

  • Pay stubs for the last 12 months
  • Tax returns for the last three years
  • Bank statements for the last 12 months.

Your attorney will probably ask you for many other financial documents, but these will get you started. Wake County, in particular, requires a long list of financial documents to be turned over to both sides of a child support case before a case will be heard in Court.

The Court also requires several documents to be filled out, such as a financial affidavit. Your attorney can help you fill these documents out and if you must go to Court, she can explain your finances to the judge. When parents have special circumstances, then an attorney is invaluable in ensuring that a proper amount of support is established. If you need legal help in Franklin County or the surrounding counties, Ms. McCray would be glad to meet with you to discuss your options.

Click here to contact attorney Gena McCray or call us at (919) 497-0091 for more information.

Back to Top